Sustainability at Nakilat
Nakilat and its joint ventures (JVs) are committed to Qatar National Vision 2030, which outlines the development of a sustainable future for the State of Qatar. As an organization, we conduct various safety and internal development programs to ensure the creation of a safe and reliable workforce, while our robust corporate social responsibility (CSR) framework aims to enrich the lives of local communities and preserve our natural environment.
Our sustainability commitment comprises several key elements, and among our highlights this year include:
The company’s solid safety performance reflects the effort and dedication of staff both at sea and ashore. Nakilat’s prime objective is to achieve an ‘Incident and Injury Free (IIF)’ work environment and our 2019 safety results greatly complement our commitment toward being IIF.
Collaborations with Ministry of Public Heath:
- As part of MOPH’s preventative health campaign, a Flu Vaccination Drive was conducted at the Nakilat Corporate office and the Shipyard facility to administer flu shots to all staff
- Workplace Wellness Program to promote an active and healthy lifestyle via several activities such as a smoking cessation and mental health awareness talk
Wellness activities were conducted throughout the year, with various sporting activities offered to employees to encourage them to stay fit and healthy
- All NSQL-managed vessels completed the Inventory of Hazardous Material in compliance with the IMO Hong Kong Convention
- Through sustained efforts at recycling and reducing consumption, the NSQL fleet reduced their garbage output by 2.4% in 2019 compared to 2018
- Approximately a third of NSQL fleet has been retrofitted with the Ballast Water Treatment System
- Nakilat joint ventures NSW and QFAB conducted various waste clean-ups in support of World Clean Up Day and World Ocean Day
- A tree planting initiative was conducted by volunteers at the Erhama Bin Jaber Al Jalahma Shipyard
Raising Awareness with Qatar Cancer Society
Nakilat partnered with Qatar Cancer Society and sponsored the Thyroid Cancer Conference held in April, which provided a platform to raise awareness about the available services in Qatar for thyroid gland pproblems, methods of self-examination and medical consultation on skin care for people with thyroid cancer.
Partnering with Education Above All
In the spirit of the holy month of Ramadan, Nakilat partnered with Education Above All to raise funds and provide educational assistance to underprivileged children living in Qatar.
Blood Donation Drive
Nakilat partnered with the Blood Unit of Hamad Medical Corporation (HMC) and organized blood donation drives for employees and tenants at its headquarters and the Erhama bin Jaber Al Jalahma Shipyard.
Nakilat continuously focuses on the personal and professional development of its employees in order to effectively contribute to the achievement of its operational and strategic goals. This focus is maintained through wide-ranging, innovative and blended learning and development activities offered to employees on the job, in classrooms and/or online. We prioritize critical business-related development needs in relation to technical skills, interpersonal skills and management & leadership capability. Where appropriate, internal subject matter expert knowledge is utilized in the form of peer-to-peer learning and knowledge sharing.
In 2019, Nakilat continued to focus on succession planning, leadership development, employee engagement as well as retention. The first phase of a systematic succession planning process was established, with successors identified for critical roles.
In addition, Nakilat engaged with the company’s leadership to craft and design a bespoke, world-class leadership development program applicable to all our managers. This overarching program has been designed to accommodate three different levels of leaders in Nakilat; namely, executive leaders, high potential leaders and emerging leaders with consistent theme being taught to varying degrees of complexity and depth. This program will be launched on a phased basis starting 2020. Our continued efforts at promoting a learning culture to attract and retain our highly-skilled workforce and nurture our emerging talent is evidenced by our achievements throughout the year.
EXPLORE THE ANNUAL REPORT
Have a Question?
Contact our Investor Relations